Re: [BRHSlist] Airbrushing

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Airbrushing
From: Steve Wintner <steve_wintner@y...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:47:49 -0700 (PDT)
--- Bryan Howell <tubaman21@y...> wrote:
> Hi List! Can anyone tell me about airbrushing?
> What
> is the difference between regular brush-on paint and
> airbrush paint? Can't I just brush on airbrush
> paint?
> I want to use the metallizer paint for my gallery
> car, but I don't have an airbrush. Can anyone help
> me
> out?
>
> Thanks!
>
> =====
> Bryan J. Howell

Bryan,

I would recommend buying an airbrush. Although there
are a number of different setups, even the cheapest
gear you can find will be better than a brush for most
work.

You do need to be fastidious about cleaning the brush
after use.

Normal paints need to be thineed to use in an
airbrush, but that is the only real difference. How
much ? you'll hear all sort of recommendations -
thicker paint needs more pressure, explaining part of
the variation in recommendations. Airbursh paints have
more thinner in them already, and are usually too thin
to cover well out of the bottle.

Now - metalizers. I beleive this paint is "hot", in
other words, will attack plastic if used out of the
bottle. Since airbrushes mix the paint so finely with
air and you put on such a thin coat, they dry really
fast - less than 1/2 as long as brushed on paint. That
is why metallizers require an airbrush, I think - the
solvents that would attack the plastic if brushed on
evaporate too fast to affect the plastic.

Getting a brushstroke free finish with them would be
an additional hassle. Using the buffing kind and
buffing would minimize the strokes I expect.

You MIGHT be able to acheive a decent finish by
brushing on some regular paint, and then brushing
metallizer over it. I haven't ever tried it. On the
other hand, if you use the wrong undercoat, you'll
lift it with the metallizer...and I dunno what
undercoat I'd use. Certainly I'd try it on scrap
first.

Let me look - someone besides Testors makes some kind
of natural metal finish which you are supposed to
brush on and then buff, I think.

=====
-Steve Wintner
"Hearts have been hard
Hands have been clenched into fists too long"
-Midnight Oil