Sunset S-4

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Sunset S-4
From: kzach61@h...
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:03:40 -0000
I'm getting a Sunset S-4 ready for the paint shop, and have a
question. It seems to me that the tender is rather top heavy, and
tends to wobble as it runs down the track. I had another S-4
some time back, and if I remember correctly it had the same
problem. Any suggestions on how to correct this? Would it be
feasible to remove some of the coal bunker, as it seems to be a
possible source of the weight problem, and replace it with
styrene before putting in a coal load? I've tried putting in some
weights on the tender floor, and using a stiffer spring on the truck
bolsters, but neither solution seemed to help much. I'd
appreciate any suggestions.

Jim Zach