Re: coaches

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: coaches
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:12:57 -0000
The only 48 seat streamlined Burlington Coaches I know about were the
4 California Zephyr flattop coaches that were rebuilt, along with
identical CZ coaches from the 16 section sleepers the train used to
carry. They were all lettered California Zephyr.

There were 9 postwar CB&Q Budd Coaches, 4 built 1952 for the Kansas
City and American Royal Zephyrs, and 5 built 1956 for the Denver
Zephyr. However, these carried 50 passengers apiece.

I believe all the other streamlined coaches built new by Budd for the
Q were prewar and 52 seat, except for one larger car for the General
Pershing Zephyr.

sjl

--- In BRHSlist@y..., "Cynthia & Duncan Cameron" <d.cameron@s...>
wrote:
> As has been mentioned a couple of times on the list, Walther's is
planning on releasing a series of ready-to-roll Budd-built passenger
cars including some lettered for the Q. From the price (~$32 US)
these ought to be some pretty nice plastic cars. The web-site
indicates that the expected release date for the first car is now in
the second half of May and that the first car to be released will be a
48 seat coach. My question is what numbers (and names if any) these
cars bore on the Q. I'd also like to know how different these cars
would be from the 52 seat coachs which I understand were in the low
4700s. I know that the 52 seaters appeared frequently on the Zephyr
Rocket. Does anyone know if the 48 seaters may have done so as well?
Thanks.