Re: [BRHSlist] Sheridan's 05- asbestos

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Sheridan's 05- asbestos
From: "Robert Yarger" <ryarger1@n...>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:06:19 -0500
Sometimes that ash and rainwater can rust away the smokebox bottom to near
nothing. Rainwater can also enter the cylinders down an open stack, where
it can freeze and break the steam passages in the valves and cylinders, not
to mention causing corrosion in them. Fortunately, steam oil is partly
organic-based and clings pretty well to metal surfaces over time, sort of
like grease burned onto a dirty fry pan. Ash should also be removed from
the firebox, where it usually remains behind the grate bearers and in the
ashpan. Corrosion should also be scaled out of the tender tank and removed.
Plain bearing locomotives need to have the lubricating cellars removed and
the journals polished and greased before any rolling of the engine.
One-half revolution will grind the rust on the lower axle into the soft
bearinga above, causing great damage to them. Roller bearing engines should
have the boxes drained (water condenses in them), flushed out and refilled
with proper lubricant. I could go on, but won't take up more space...

Bob Yarger, Editor
Railway Preservation News (website)
www.rypn.org