Mather Stock Car Research and Questions

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Mather Stock Car Research and Questions
From: GEU30CG@a...
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:23:12 EST
Hello and Happy Holiday to all.

I ran across a Model Railroading article on "Freight Cars of the Thirties and
Fifties, Mather Stock Cars" in the November 1987 issue. (Pg. 14-19) They
have photos of stock car 58652. So I referred to Bulletin No. 25 on Stock
Cars and see that the 58000-58999 & 59000-59499 were class SM-16. No mention
is made of the cars being Mather Stock Cars.

My questions:
Did Model Railroading have a bit of error in their research?
Or
Have I missed something in the Bulletin regarding these cars?

I am sitting on about five HO Proto 2000 stock cars that I would like to use
for CB&Q cars. My hope is that some of the Mather Cars were painted in a
"Mineral Red" just to add variety. The only photos I have seen of the "true"
Mather Cars (50000-50139 & 50200-50239) all seem to show the cars in Chinese
Red. Reading the Bulletin does not disprove my theory on all the cars being
Chinese Red. Did any of the B&O lease cars get lettered CB&Q but not
repainted?

Anyone have a JPG of a Mather Car in boxcar red they would send me? Or
better yet, post in the files section for the entire list. Color preferred
obviously.

What have others done for semi-accurate CB&Q 60's era stock cars? I would
like a small fleet for my Galesburg layout.

Thanks for your help!

Darren Ferreter
Cedar Rapids, IA
GEU30CG@a...