Re: [BRHSlist] Help Support YOUR Society!

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Help Support YOUR Society!
From: Paul/Celine Kossart <kozys@t...>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:55:47 -0600
List,

Last week I received the much anticipated 2001 BRHS calendar; it's another
winner with a nice balance of motive power, old and new. Check out the
June photograph, to me it's breathtaking. This years calendar features
photos by Al Holck so giving credit where it's due I must say "Thank you
Mr. Holck!" I also want to commend Mr. Ed DeRouin for his role and good
choice of photos to use as the Society's Calendar Editor. Thanks, Mr. D as
well.

I also want to encourage all members to actually READ what is in the Annual
Report included with the calendar. There is a lot of interesting "stuff"
in there, not just a bunch of boring facts and figures. I especially liked
the breakdown on such things as how many members are from each
state/country and sources of new members to the Society. I also
appreciated taking the time to read the info on the BRHS Personnel and
recognizing many names. These are the people who make the Society continue
to exist through their unselfish efforts of time and talent. Please
consider helping out through your contribution as I noticed there are some
staff positions which are currently labled "Open", as in "We are short
handed and need more help." If for whatever reason at least join me in
saying "Thank you" to these people who make things GO.

For various reasons most of us cannot directly volunteer but can still show
our support and do that little extra something by becoming a sustaining
member of the Society. All it requires is a contribution of at least
double the current dues for a year. I thought it was classy for the a list
of these people to be included in the Annual Report - talk about going
above and beyond...

One of the statements I read was upsetting to me personally as a modeler of
the CB&Q - that there was no special society model car offered to the
membership this past year as one of the above mentioned OPEN positions was
for Special Car Projects Coordinator. Thankfully there were several people
interested in this and as of my writing this there may be one already.
Along similar lines, the position of Manufacturer Representative is also
currently OPEN. I really appreciate the cars the Society has made
available to us modelers of the 'Q' in recent years and hope they will
continue to do so. Any suggestions for the next project car?

Finally, included was also a membership application for the BRHS. I was
surprised to learn the highest source for new members in the past year came
from another BRHS member surpassing all other reasons given. This is
something we can all easily attempt to do. I would suggest something as
simple as getting a stack of applications and leaving them somewhere
appropriate for attracting attention. How about at the local train depot,
commuter station, or hobby shop. In my case, I live not too far from
Mendota, IL and will check to see if they have any available to the public
there. If not, I will be requesting a stack for them to prominently display.

So as we prepare to start the new year, lets voice a BIG THANKS to those
in the BRHS who "do what they do" for me and you, and resolve to find our
own niche within the Society to do what we can as well.

Happy Holidays to all...

Paul Kossart - Peru, Illinois, USA ~
NMRA, BRHS, La Salle & Bureau County Model Railroad Club
Modeling the CB&Q & Illiniwek River Branch in HO - Circa early fall, 1969.
"Serving Agriculture and Industry in the Illiniwek River Valley since 1904"