Re: [BRHSlist] Billboard Reefers and Frisco depots

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Billboard Reefers and Frisco depots
From: ufffam@a...
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:53:08 EDT
In a message dated Tue, 18 Jul 2000 1:46:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "John A.
Swearingen" <jas@s...> writes:

<< It is my understanding that the beautiful old "billboard reefers" which used
to grace the freight trains of this country met their demise when the United
States Supreme Court declared them illegal. I do not have a law library nearby.
Will anyone shed some light on the court&#8217;s reasoning, and, perhaps,
provide a citation to the case?

Don't have the citation but it stemmed from an ICC rule in the 1930's. They did
not ban billboards per se--if the car was in captive service it could still
carry a bill board--Swift for Swift etc. It was the notion that a shipper
should not have to put his product in a car "labelled" for someone else
including a competitor.

Bill Uffelman